Board Director Opportunities
About the role
The Women’s and Girls Emergency Centre is seeking to appoint two new Directors. The Board is inviting applications from people who will bring a strategic focus and specific skill sets, as well as strong alignment with the WAGEC core values and mission to guide Board decision making.
As a Director on this Board, it is highly desirable for you to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience, understandings and professional development required for board director governance within Australia
- Contemporary understanding of significant operational matters and issues facing the non government community services sector
- Understanding and management of emerging issues and risks facing board directors such as information and financial security, carbon emissions, organisational culture
- Commitment to attending one Board meeting every 2 months including having availability to read Board papers prior to the meeting, participation in sub-committee meetings and fundraising activities
Applications from graduates of the AICD Company Director's Course or people with equivalent governance qualifications or board director experience is highly desirable.
Please note that this is a voluntary position.
Ideally, the Board is looking for two directors who will also bring experience and knowledge of one or more of the following:
Director Position 1:
- Subject matter expertise in homelessness and/or domestic and family violence,
- comprehensive knowledge of the complexity of the community services sector including structural and broader contexts in which this sector operates
- Government processes, contracting and stakeholder relationships
Director Position 2:
Financial management to ensure that the organisation is working within regulatory and legal frameworks, with skills and experience in:
- Accounting and financial reporting
- Risk management and financial strategy and advice;
- Establishing positive working relationships with organisation leaders responsible for financial management
- Willingness to potentially move into the position of Treasurer within the next two years
About the Women’s and Girls Emergency Centre
The Women’s and Girls’ Emergency Centre (WAGEC) is a non-government, not-for profit charitable organisation that delivers a range of crisis and early intervention accommodation and support services to women, children, young people, and families who are experiencing, or at risk of homelessness and/or domestic and family violence. We have operated in Sydney’s inner city and inner west for over 40 years. Other WAGEC activities are delivered in partnership with community, business and government stakeholders.
"A safe future for women and families”.
WAGEC is a not for profit, charity based in inner city Sydney and the inner west, New South Wales. We create safe spaces for women and families impacted by the effects of homelessness, domestic and family violence and systemic disadvantage. We create enduring change in times of crisis through access to safety, housing and material support. We work with our communities to advocate social change. We are trauma-informed and culturally appropriate in our practice.
For further details on this role or to request an Application Pack, please contact WAGEC.
It is requested that applicants send a covering letter addressing your experience and knowledge as well as a Curriculum Vitae to the above email. Expressions of Interest will close on 6 March 2023.
Phone: 02 8317 2662