About the Organisation
The Women’s and Girls’ Emergency Centre (WAGEC) is a non-government, not-for profit charitable organisation that delivers a range of crisis and early intervention accommodation and support services to women, children, young people, and families who are experiencing, or at risk of homelessness and/or domestic and family violence. We have operated in Sydney’s inner city and inner west for over 40 years. We currently deliver our Families Service through an alliance with the St Vincent De Paul Society, Wesley Mission, Jewish House and Stepping Out. Other WAGEC activities are delivered in partnership with community, business and government stakeholders.
About the Role
WESLEY MISSION SPECIALIST HOMELESSNESS SERVICES
- full-time 12-month contract position
- based in Inner West Sydney region
An opportunity exists for an experienced, motivated and teachable person to work alongside women and families who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness. You will be required to work under the oversight of the Women's & Girls' Emergency Centre - WAGEC (operational) and Wesley Mission (HR and general line management) as well as alongside other partner organisations in supporting our homeless neighbours’ exit homelessness and improve their stability, independence and happiness.
This is a demanding but rewarding role, requiring initiative, collaboration, creativity, resilience and genuine compassion. It will involve working from WAGEC office sites in Redfern and Burwood. It will include participating in on-call rotation and may occasionally require availability on weekends and public holidays. It will require travel across the districts in which services are delivered.
- qualifications and experience relevant to the provision of quality case management services, especially to women experiencing, domestic & family violence, social isolation, mental illness
- sound understanding of homelessness and an ease in providing warm and credible empathy to people who are at risk of, who are, or who have been homeless
- experience in working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities
- can articulate the contribution of case management to supporting permanent exits from homelessness
- great communication skills and strong administrative competencies – computer literacy, documentation, data collection etc.
- proven ability to perform in complex and challenging community welfare settings – flexible and creative approaches to work, matched with tested personal attributes such as resilience, patience, initiative, compassion and commitment to self-care
- willingness to work in a variety of settings and to travel across the districts in which we deliver services
- ability to embrace Wesley Mission’s values and to work within its codes of ethics and conduct – and to work respectfully alongside the mission and values of partner organisations
- informed appreciation of person-centred principles, trauma and its implications for our care and practice
- experience in multidisciplinary teams or in SHS case management
- helpful local, sector or organisational knowledge
Applicants will need to possess a current Driver Licence, Apply First Aid Certification, and satisfy relevant security checks including but not limited to a Working with Children’s Check.
How to Apply
1) Read the position description available on our website and check out our range of work at www.wagec.org.au
2) If you have any questions, please call/email us before making an application
3) Send us your application which should contain:
• Your 2-3-page CV, and
• A 2-page cover letter telling us why you think you are the best person to fill this role and what characteristics you will bring to the WAGEC team.
4) Applications close at 5:00pm (Sydney time) 6 January 2020.
5) Applications should be emailed to Vanessa.Daniels@wesleymission.org.au
**If you think you have what it takes to do this role but you don’t meet our selection criteria, please get in touch anyway to discuss your situation. We recognise that sometimes the right candidate for a job is based in personal qualities not just qualifications **
For Further Information:
Vanessa Daniels | Senior Program and Practice Manager
Phone: 02 9361 0981 ext 227 Email: Vanessa.Daniels@wesleymission.org.au